Thursday, March 29, 2012

Night Out in NYC

I just returned from an almost week trip out East to visit my brother's family.  Along the way it worked out that a world-traveling friend of mine from college is now stateside once again and residing in New York city.  So we were able to coordinate a girls weekend with a couple other old friends as well!  Although it was a short overnight trip for me, we made the best of it and had a great time.  After I arrived we took a stroll through Central Park.  I didn't take any photos as we were being hounded enough as it was by people trying to sell us things, I didn't want to enhance the touristy vibe.  It was just like the movies, I kept thinking of the end of Elf when Santa lands in Central Park, or the crazy pigeon lady from Home Alone 2.

 We then enjoyed some shopping and a light lunch before heading to the 9/11 memorial.  I was quite the ordeal to get into the memorial site as they are constructing new towers around the memorial and security is important, for obvious reasons.
I was a little worried that the memorial would be spoiled by the crowds and security, but once inside I was happy to be proved wrong.  It was a very reflective and respectful atmosphere.  And I thought the memorial couldn't have been more appropriate.  The two towers' footprints were into waterfalls with the names of the fallen surrounding. 
This was the Survivor Tree.  Reduced to a stump after the towers fell but still standing, it was removed and nursed back to health, then returned to its previous spot where it is thriving.
I'm very glad we chose to visit this memorial.  It was a very emotional and humbling experience but such an important part of our history.
 
We then headed back to Julie's apt and got ready for our evening out.  We had THE BEST sushi I have had to date.  I am worried that all future sushi is ruined for me. 

It was a great visit with great friends
The topics of conversation have changed from boyfriends, parties, and classes of our college years to marriage, family planning and whether or not we should be using wrinkle cream yet,
But I wouldn't have it any other way, that's the great thing about old friends isn't it?  You can pick up right where you left off and proceed without a hiccup.  We have vowed to make this a more common occurrence and I hope we can stick to it.  Who knows what our next main topics of conversation will be?

No comments:

Post a Comment