Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Meatless Monday

Although you will never hear me refer to it as such because it causes immediate grumbling from the spouse.  So I just make it and don't refer to the presence or absence of meat.  And it's not always on Monday so as to throw him off!  In all honesty, I do try and cook a meatless meal once a week for our health and wallets.  Since I recently had a little bicycle accident that caused a severely strained elbow I had to give in to my stubborn nurse side and take some higher octane pain meds.  As any nurse knows, said pain meds can cause a "back-up" of sorts, if you catch my drift.  So, meatless was even a better idea as this meal was both healthful and fiberful.

Here is the recipe for Rachael Ray's delicious Spaghetti Squash with Marinara recipe.  Start with a spaghetti squash or two, I used just one as there were only two of us to feed, I did make the full sauce recipe and will have it on pasta (whole wheat, high fiber of course!) later this week.  Split in half and scoop out the gunk.  Then roast cut side down, that's it, no seasoning, oil, nothing.
Then get started on the sauce.  The recipe calls for steeping some saffron in chicken broth.  While I did use saffron I realize that it is rather pricey and sometimes hard to find.  I think the flavor is worth it but I also think that the sauce would still be yummy with just plain chicken broth.  The sauce itself is easy (well, if you have two fully functioning arms, otherwise chopping is somewhat challenging) and full of veggie goodness.
Once the squash is very tender all you do is shred the squash with a fork right in it's own skin
Dress it with a little melted butter and shredded Parmesan (which you don't feel guilty about since the rest of the meal is so low in calories and high in nutrients!), then top with marinara and a little more cheese.  Ta-Da!
We both left the table full and satisfied and there wasn't a single grumble from my spouse regarding the lack of meat, and if he was thinking it he smartly kept it to himself.  He's lucky his injured wife cooked dinner at all.  I really do salute you, Spaghetti squash, you definitely redeem the squash family after my traumatizing childhood loathing of squash.  I would even eat you plain! 

On an unrelated note, I want to send a big congratulations to my sister-in-law for securing her first RN position!  Way to go Jube!!!




1 comment:

  1. Served it to Ruby while she was here. We all loved it!!

    ReplyDelete