Friday, January 13, 2012

Redefining Expectations

Let me start off by saying there is not a nursing shortage in this part of the country at this time.  Being a new grad RN is tough.  To put it in perspective, a nursing manager said that for each position posted for New Grad RN, they receive between 200-300 applicants.  Ouch.  I didn't realize this when I went to nursing school, although it wouldn't have changed my decision one bit. 

 When I graduated I was so incredibly anxious to find a job.  It was my turn to start making money and contribute to our family (personal pressure, not from Eric at all), and all I wanted to to was be the nurse that I had worked so hard to become.  I applied to many many many hospital jobs, many I wasn't qualified for, but hey, gotta try right?  As the rejection emails started pouring in I was definitely getting discouraged (mind you this was only over a couple weeks but it felt like months), after all, I got good grades, had good references and relevant prior experience.  I expanded my search to include (gulp) long term care facilities.  Low and behold I got a call for an interview.  It was for long term care but what did I care?  Someone actually thinks I just may be worth investing in and will actually PAY ME to be a nurse!!  Hooray! Skip ahead to me getting the job offer.

I was very excited to start working and I jumped right in.  But there was still a nagging voice in the back of my head saying "this isn't the kind of nurse you wanted to be, you need to be in the hospital taking care of REALLY sick people" I told that voice to be quiet, at least I had a job.  I was fortunate to be assigned to the rehab (physical, not chemical rehab) wings and learned very quickly that I was doing SO much more than just passing meds.  I was assessing, delegating, prioritizing.  I was calling doctors and family members. I was identifying declining conditions and sending residents to the ER. I was performing most of the nursing tasks I learned in labs and clinicals, I was being a nurse. 

Then it started to dawn on me, I was now a part of a really great team.  I really kind of loved my job, and it surprised me!  I got to see people get better and go home, make a difference in their daily life, and be there at the very end of a life.  I was now part of a wonderful culture of nurses.  Regardless of where we were educated, how much experience we had, or where we practiced the art of nursing, we shared the commonality of nursing, and boy is it a great club to be a part of. 

So I have had to redefine my expectations and embrace this unexpected turn.  It's not how I thought my nursing career would start but I am thankful every day that I have had this opportunity.  I am a nurse.  I am a rehab nurse, a geriatric nurse, and a hospice nurse.  And, yes, a long term care nurse.  I say all of those things with pride now instead of followed by, "well, I really want to be a NICU or Peds nurse".  I still have that goal in mind, but I am happy to wait for that door to open in its own time.  For now, I'm just proud to be a nurse.

1 comment:

  1. I can only imagine how much my image of myself is going to change in the next year. Good for you for embracing a job that wouldn't have been your first choice!

    ReplyDelete