Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Why Today is a Good Day x 5

1.  I am not at work.  Now, don't get me wrong, I really do love my job, especially now that I have a normal-person day shift schedule with a permanent unit assignment.  But, my goodness, it has been busy lately!  Last week we enjoyed a couple days with a few empty beds per hall and then, BAM, 6 admits on Saturday.  New admits are inevitable, of course, and I wouldn't have a job if we didn't have them, but 6? come on!  And they are all coming from the hospital where nurses have 4 or 5 patients, not 18.  Oh, and then I had nursing students with me yesterday.  Now, I really do love to teach and being a nursing student myself is very fresh in my memory so I really try hard to give them a good clinical day.  Because, as any previous nursing student can attest, your precepting nurse totally has the power to make your day awesome or ruin it.  I always want to be thought of as providing the former.  But, it did put me behind.  So, I'm tired today and glad I'm not working.

2.  The Olympics!  While I have always been more a fan of the Winter Games, I am thoroughly enjoying these Summer events.  We record the prime time telecast and watch as much as we can before our old-person bed time.  Then I pick it back up when I get home.  *Spoiler alert*  How about the Women's Gymnastic team?!  I was crying right along with poor Jordyn Wieber and the injustice of being one of the best but still cut from the All-around because her teammates were just a bit better (and each country can only send 2), then watching these young ladies support one another and fight til the end for team Gold.  And the swimming!  Another reason why I love the Olympics.  Hard work and good sportsmanship.  Seeing these young men and women always hug and congratulate the winning swimmers despite their place in the race just defines what it means to be a good sportsman.  Maybe there are still good role models out there for young people.  And can I just say that, as a country I know many of us are guilty of looking for the "easy fix";  "I want to lose weight NOW but I'll eat that hamburger and sit on the couch", "I want to be rich, but don't want to work hard", "I want to be beautiful at all costs", etc, etc.  The Olympics really proves that you can do anything, but its going to take extremely hard work and dedication.  None of those Olympic medals were awarded to people who didn't put in the work and deserve every ounce of precious metal. And then add the Patriotism to the mix as I blubber on whenever the National Anthem is played at the ceremony. Ok, enough ranting about my love of Olympians. If you haven't watched any events, do it!  Might I suggest Beach Volleyball, or Synchronized Diving (which is now my new favorite event!)

3.  The Hubster just finished his first summer semester back at school.  He managed to work 50+ hours a week and pull As in both classes (anyone who has taken a summer session class knows how fast they move!).  Way to go Babe!  He's a pretty good example of a hard worker too, I'm a very lucky gal.
 
4.  Chickens.  Yes, chickens.  Our neighbors have a least 3 that I can see.  They are normally very well behaved, but this morning as I was sitting at the computer upstairs I could hear them happily clucking away.  So I decided to be a creeper to gain proof, that we really do have neighbor chickens

I normally great them with "Hello Chickens!"  They probably have names, but I haven't figured them out yet.

5.  We go on vacation in a week and a half!  This will be the first non-family visiting vacation that we have ever taken.  We are pretty pumped to go hide in the mountains with the dog for a week and explore corners of the state we haven't experienced yet.  Sorry family, we really do love you all very much!  And miss you!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're enjoying every moment of your day off! Woohoo Eric!!

    ReplyDelete