Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Deliciously Evil

Chocolate chip cookies are the first recipe I remember following when I was baking with my Mom as a kid. We baked together so often that I eventually had it memorized, and still do.  When I moved to Colorado I realized that some adjustments may be required to my cooking skills to account for the high altitude (many of the advantages to  living a 5,000 feet, also we have more red blood cells, hooray for hemoglobin!).  When I researched this the answers were all very vague and basically amounted to, "you just have to play around with recipes until they work" by adding less baking soda, more sugar, etc.  Water definitely boils faster.  So my beloved cookies, while still delicious, always turn out very flat, and I can't bring myself to "experiment" with the recipe.  Which brings me to these amazing little squares. 

I had the craving for a dense chocolate chip cookie bar and knew that my recipe may not stay thick and chewy if I put the in bar form.  A little googling later and success!  I settled on this recipe
Um, yeah. The picture doesn't really do them justice. They were a little too good, I could not pass the pan without grabbing one, so I suggest cutting the squares small!  The only change I made to the recipe was that I did not melt and cool the butter, just softened in the microwave on defrost for 30 sec or so.  The dough is the consistency of traditional cookie dough so I just got my fingers a little wet and pressed them in the pan by hand, I greased rubber spatula may work too.

They were SO chewy and moist.  I had to take half of them to work the next day just to keep them out of my mouth.  And, the plus side to bars is far less work than batch after batch of cookies.  So, next time you have the craving or want to make some new friends, I highly suggest that you whip up a quick batch of these little devils. 

2 comments:

  1. Seriously want. I'm totally into the cookie bars these days. I just don't have the 90 minutes to invest in sheet after sheet after sheet of cookies. You'll have to make them when you come visit! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made em, ate em, shared em. that one's going in the file.

    ReplyDelete