Sunday, February 5, 2012

Snow and Green Chilli

Everyone who doesn't have Colorado experience seems to assume that we are always buried in feet of snow.  While most mountain towns do gain quite the impressive base of snow throughout the winter (like 10-20 feet) we along the Front Range enjoy a pretty mild winter with lots of sunshine.  Except for the occasional blizzard.  The snow started Thursday evening and didn't stop until sometime early Saturday morning.  We got about a foot.
 If I were still in Nursing School I would have gotten a snow day, but, alas, nurses don't get snow days :( Cassidy sure loves the snow
 It's like a treasure hunt to find all her buried balls and random toys. 

Since I have the weekend off I decided to try my hand at making green chilli, I used this recipe.  This was new territory  in my culinary experience and I was kind of excited to buy tomatillos and poblano peppers for the first time.  Did you know that tomatilloes aren't green tomatoes, they are part of the gooseberry family?  Here are all the green veggies roasted up in olive oil, salt, and pepper:
 Tip for the jalepenos: I keep a bag of gloves (the latexy-type) handy and always wear them when dealing with jalepenos or other peppers.  It seems that no matter how much time elapses or how much I wash my hands, when I go to take out my contacts that little bit of jalepeno oil burns like heck, so now I don't even risk it.
Into the food processor they go!
 And add to browned pork shoulder meat.  I diced a big roast up myself, which was a little time-consuming but worth it as I was able to trim most of the fat.  Saute w/ diced red onion and sliced garlic.
 Then add 2 bottles of beer, I stuck with the Mexican theme and used Pacifico (I would suggest a "good" Mexican beer. FYI, Corona does not count) and the pureed veggies.  The recipe did not specify when to add the oregano so I just threw it in at this point as well.  Then simmer away for an hour or so!  

 The flavor was delicious and bright and the pork incredibly tender.  I stripped all the ribs and seeds from the jalapenos so there was no heat (I ended up adding a few dashes of Tabasco to mine at the table!), so adjust that to your liking. 
Now off to start prepping for our Super Bowl smorgasbord.  We are more excited about Puppy Bowel VIII (with the Piggy Pep Squad and Kitten half time show) than the game.  We can not decide which team we dislike less to cheer for, but we will find a way to enjoy ourselves regardless.  There is always Madonna and the commercials. 

1 comment:

  1. I thought Madonna was a bit sad - and I was never a fan. Interesting how the half time show and commercials (ie star wars) cater to the crowd that is now in their 30s. Unfortunately we don't get all the commercials up here, but I bet there were more. I helped make a green salsa recipe at steph's last night with tomatillos and poblamo peppers. You just answered our question around the genetics of the tomatillos. She got the recipe from a mexican lady she works with. It was very yum.

    ReplyDelete