Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Night at the Symphony

So Eric and I got to experience a pretty special concert last night.  The lead singer of his favorite band, Phish, was playing with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra.  Now I love the classics, I grew up going to the U of I concerts and then was in band myself.  But this was the first professional orchestra I have experienced.  Oh. Wow. But let me back up.  We went with four other friends and had a lovely pre-show dinner.  Then we actually made it in on time before the show start, we knew how to stay classy!
We dressed appropriately which was fun.  Not everyone got the memo though (as can be seen by the girl in jeans in the background).  At one point I noticed a guy in a tux standing in the bar line with a guy in jeans and a hoodie behind.  And there was everything in between, it definitely made for interesting people-watching.  When the featured act's fan base includes (but is not limited too!) a bunch of hippies you never know what may happen.  Before the show started the producer came on stage and, basically, told everyone to be on their best behavior, it was comical.  But, back to the music...
I zeroed in on the harpist as I was trying to get the proper camera setting.  I just love the harp.
And there's Trey, although I'm sure you could figure that!  Oh the sound, I can't even find the right words to describe it properly.  It was so pure and perfect it brought tears to my eyes and triggered a constant state of goosebumps.  These musicians were so very amazing and talented, although I suppose that is a requirement when a part of a professional symphony!
Some love to the French Horns.

I can't remember his name but he was painting right behind us during the performance, talk about inspiration!
We had such a great time.  The arrangements were just perfect, I would never have guessed that they were the songs of a jam band.  And then they encored a Beatles song (Lullaby) and I about cried.  It was, by far, my favorite musical experience to date.  We will definitely be frequenting the symphony more often. 

2 comments:

  1. Look how sassy and gorgeous you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I attribute the posing to all the Oscar night red carpet shows I was watching.

    ReplyDelete